Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Carpe Diem

A few people have mentioned that I should start a blog of my journey of successful to being fit.  So... I thought why the hell not?!  This is basically going to be my story of workouts, motivational posts, recipes, workouts and anything in between.

I was always into sports growing up playing softball and roller skating almost every other night in junior high which I was thankful for in the long run because I have an athletic side I didn't know about and it kept me out of getting into trouble.  When I got into high school I was only eating junk and drinking soda.  I would get to school and go to the vending machine to get a Coke and a Snickers bar or something along those lines.  It was my breakfast, and sugar to keep awake in class.  At break I would buy a pack of cookies and another Coke.  Lunch was normally either a bean burrito they served at school from Taco Bell or a Traveling Taco (bag of Fritos Corn Chips covered with cheese, sour cream, chili and onions).  Not the healthiest meals of my life.  After high school I dropped soda which immediately brought me down probably about 10 pounds. 

Being an adult I didn't make it any easier on myself to eat better.  I would hit the fast food joints almost 2 meals a day, sometimes I would even eat 5 full meals everyday!  The only real sport I played as an adult was roller derby and one night of softball for 6 weeks with the company I worked with.  Even though roller derby is a great sport that works your entire body, eating unhealthy and not working out on top of the sport is what kept me from getting into the shape I wanted.  I did not take the right path to step up my game to be the best and therefore I was discouraged in my personal game.  I loved every minute of the sport and the experience, but things got into the way... because I let them. 

After I stopped playing roller derby I went on to binge drinking.  I went out every single night and drank.  I was not happy with myself.  I was not happy with my life.  It did not dawn on me that I was a ball of stress and depression until my last year in California.  My move to Utah was sparked by the first man I fell in love with and the drive to go onto my own adventure.  I did not think about the long run, I did this for myself but it helped knowing a few people out in Salt Lake City. 

My brother and mom drove me up here to live, it was really hard to say goodbye but I was so happy to be in a new place near the mountains and have the opportunity to grow on my own and meet new people.  I moved in with my companions sister who was just going through a divorce and moving on her own as well, we looked at it as helping each other and starting our own adventure.  I helped watch her kids for the time being, until she could get on her feet enough to save up money for a babysitter, she worked nights so it seemed fitting for me to do it for a while.  Watching kids was hard, because you fix their dinners while snacking and when they don't finish it you don't want it to go to waste so you eat it.  At this point I was not being active and just eating all the time.  Around mid September my roommate and companion's mom had passed, it was a really hard time for all of us.  My companion decided to part ways and I was not getting along with his sister.  I got so depressed I sat around and went back to drinking and eating all the time.  I had gotten to my biggest weight at this point, I believe I was about 190.  We didn't have a scale but I knew I was not even fitting in my big clothes, it was getting out of control!  I started getting back into my shakes and running in the mornings, but it was too hard to do working so early and watching the kids at night.  It got to where I couldn't do it anymore, I was not able to go out with the little amount of friends I had out here because I had to watch the kids.  I put my foot down and moved out. 

Being in that house and not getting out really did a number on me.  I was secluded in the house and not able to get out and meet more people.  If any one knows me they know I love to get out and be social.  I love talking to people!  Finally I was able to break free of the jail I was in and start moving on from that man I fell in love with.  I moved in with a girl from San Diego and started doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and went to the gym in our complex to run after.  I did this every day and worked at a bar as a server, I started shedding the weight!  The weight was falling off like crazy.  I was able to fit in some jeans that I could not even put passed my thighs before!  The feeling was amazing!  I also had a boyfriend to keep me company on those workouts for a bit which is the best motivation, having company at a normal gym.

After doing the 30 Day Shred, I moved onto the Six Week Six Pack.  That is when I started leaning down a bit more and was able to wear a bikini for the first time in about 10 years without feeling uncomfortable.  After my week long trip to the beach last May, I went back home and moved into a condo with two guys, whom I still live with.  I started falling back into my old routine of going out to drink (working at a bar doesn't help) and eating fast food.  Obviously I put the weight I worked so hard to lose back on in a matter of a couple of weeks.  Running at the bar was wearing me down.  Finally I got a day time job at the company I work for now, TruHearing.  We specialize in helping providers that see the patients that we refer for discounts on hearing aids.  This is a desk job, that is in the same parking lot as a McDonalds and a gas station!!  Not good in my eyes. 

Around the same time I met someone who has an Herbalife distributor.  I learned of her name, but never met her before.  When I reached out to my health coach, the wonderful Krissy Krash who I skated with for a short time in LA Derby Dolls, she mentioned maybe starting a fit club out here with this other distributor.  I reached out to her, her name is Kitty Roll-her, and went to her house to meet her and the hubby.  We clicked right away and started talking about doing this fit club.  Now, we still have not started this fit club, but we do workout and skate together (before she was injured.)  Kitty told me about a workout class she was going to and told me to check it out.  Well, I jumped right on it and starting going to SurbaFit.  Surba Tucker is the trainer and I instantly felt comfortable, although there was a class full of people who had been going to him for years.  I had gone a couple of times until I met some people, again I just talk to people so it's not hard for me to meet others.  I have been going every week since October when I started (minus the month I had surgery). 

This class helps me feel good about myself by working hard at bench pressing, swinging kettle bells, slamming the ropes, burpies, plyometrics, slamming a hammer on a tire, etc.  The class is filled with amazing people and I could not be happier.  I have been on my Herbalife nutrition program for years, but this time I am sticking to it.  The program is filled with nutrition shakes that actually taste amazing in MANY flavors, protein powder/drink mix, supplements like multivitamins and cell activators that help you to speed up your metabolism and clean your body of all the toxins from crap you have eaten, snacks, beverages and more.  I used to feel so drained, stomach problems every day and weighed down.  Now a days I am feeling light and energetic and ready for the day!

I would like to challenge my friends to get out of your comfort zone and do something incredibly active or healthy for yourself!!!  Follow me and see my success.  Maybe I can help you to get fit and healthy as well!  This is what I want to do with my profession, become a successful health and wellness coach for anyone who wants to be healthy and be a fitness trainer.  I am working on being a trainer once I reach my own personal goal, but I am trying to get a start on the health coaching.  If you want me to help you and you feel inspired enough to start your own journey to being fit, email me at burmastersonnie@gmail.com.  You deserve this because you ARE good enough and I believe in you!!!

Here is a recipe that my trainer shared with us and I am passing along.. look for more posts and recipes as well as workouts and other things here...

True Foods Kale Salad

Tuscan Kale Salad
4-6 cups kale, loosely packed, sliced leaves of Italian black (Lacinato, “dinosaur,” cavolo nero) midribs removed
Juice of 1 lemon
3-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, mashed
salt and pepper, to taste
hot red pepper flakes, to taste
2/3 cup grated Pecorino Toscano cheese (Rosselino variety if you can find it) or other flavorful grating cheese such as Asiago or Parmesan
1/2 cup freshly made bread crumbs from lightly toasted bread

Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and a generous pinch (or more to taste) of hot red pepper flakes. Pour over kale in serving bowl and toss well. Add 2/3 of the cheese and toss again. Let kale sit for at least 5 minutes. Add bread crumbs, toss again, and top with remaining cheese.

Food as Medicine:
Kale is among the most nutrient-dense commonly eaten vegetables. One cup provides 1,327 percent of the Daily Value (DV) for vitamin K, 192 percent of DV for vitamin A, and 88 percent for vitamin C.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks David, that means a lot! Never done a blog before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, the traveling taco. I have tried to recreate that thing, but never can. You have to admit they were yummy!!! cool blog btw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It was certainly delicious!! Thanks for reading!

      Delete